Eating fruits and vegetables in their correct season is always the most desirable option in Chinese Medicine, as foods from each season assist with common ailments or issues that arise during that season. For example, summer squashes and zucchini have cooling properties that help with Summer Heat in Chinese Medicine.
Mint leaves are also very cooling, due to naturally occurring menthol and menthone, but mint can also be beneficial for heart health in general. Peppermint is especially helpful for strengthening the heart muscle in Chinese Medicine. Try Peppermint in this delicious squash salad!
Minty Garden Squash Salad
2 small zucchini
2 small yellow (summer) squash
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1. Thinly slice or shave the zucchini and yellow squash. This can be done with a mandolin or with a peeler. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Cut the mint leaves into strips by rolling them together, then slicing into strips, then add to the bowl with the squash.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and lemon juice, then add salt and pepper and continue whisking; taste and adjust for flavor, adding more seasoning if necessary.
4. Drizzle this dressing over the squash in the bowl, add the toasted pine nuts and toss together.
5. Let mixture stand for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve in small salad bowls and sprinkle with more toasted pine nuts if desired.