Borage oil in Traditional Chinese Medicine is highly beneficial for internal gut inflammation. Due to its high concentration of Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), Borage oil has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The presence of a high ratio of Omega-3 fatty acids in addition to the high GLA also helps increase metabolism and rates of fat burn-off, the Omega-3s assisting with hormonal balance, and the GLA helping with weight reduction. Try this delicious salad with Borage oil and Borage blossoms for some of these wonderful benefits!
Peachy Heirloom Tomato Salad with Blue Borage Blossoms
1 lb ripe fresh peaches
2 lb. vine ripened heirloom tomatoes
3 green onions, cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp borage oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp orange zest
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup blue borage flowers, whole
1. Clean, core, and chop the tomatoes roughly. If your collection of heirloom tomatoes includes small (cherry size) tomatoes, just cut in half. Mix up your cutting angles and sizes to add variety. Put in large salad bowl.
2. Scrub the peaches and slice into small wedges (removing the pit and stem as you do.) Add to the salad bowl with tomatoes.
3. Add the thin strips of green onion to the salad bowl.
4. To make the dressing, whisk together the borage oil, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, orange zest, and salt until smooth and frothy. Pour this dressing over the salad, sprinkle in the mint and basil and toss to combine.
5. Set the salad aside for 10 minutes; taste and add salt if necessary.
6. When seasoned properly, Serve in individual salad bowls, sprinkling the blue borage flowers over each serving. You will get about 4 to 6 salad servings.